Man, this weekend was like highly anticipated. There were folks on the crew just hyping this trip up all kinds. Myself, I didn't really think too much about it, since I already been in canada, and was going to something else if we didn't go anywhere. But, those who haven't been across the border were pretty excited about what's going to go on.
Man oh man, were we in for a trip just in the beginning. I take the day off of work to further prepare for the trip. Actually I just worked on the rez hogs' website and put some cds on the computer pretty much. So I was sweating around trying to pack up quicklike when I in fact had an entire day to do that. Then I kept remembering something else to pack or bring along. @ the last moment I remembered I had to cash my paycheck, and pay a fine I got for speeding around. That went off w/out a hitch, but then I thought, "get canadian currency" which happened to come in handy in ways I would have never imagined.
Okay, I was left to hustle a ride up for me and a couple homeys. It ended up working out even though it was all last minute planning. But, the other ride that was supposed to be brought up there was a li'l on the broke down side. It ran for a li'l bit, but once it was turned off, it wasn't turning on again. They thought, "battery; change it" and that took a quick minute to set up. Well, they put in the brand spanking new battery and as the suspense built up, we were all set up for a big disappointment, nothing. It didn't even tease us at all, it just made a quick noise and that was it. No partial turning over or anything other than a quick nothing. That should have been a sign, but no one took notice. In fact, we all thought, "this is just a test to see who's really down to head out." We didn't see the obvious I guess?
Now, they had to hustle a ride up in really short notice time. It took time, but one was hustled up and we picked up another passenger. Okay, we're all footloose and fancy free now heading out to Canada. First things first though, we had to pit stop @ Wal Mart on our way there. I pick up some new dvd's for the trip and we're off. We watch Goodfella's (CLASSIC!) and laugh through it. Towards the end of the movie we arrive @ the border. This is where it gets tricky.
The border; good or bad? We didn't have proper Identification on our persons. No red flag there though. What got this lady's attention was the fact that most of us had over 600 dollars on them, each. Yeah, it's really bad to have money on you and be in a group of peers that are the same. So they file us out, and then we start getting the 3rd degree on not having the proper id's to get into canada. The last time I was in canada all I needed was a driver's license, so that's all I had w/ me. Well, we didn't know that outburst was the least of the string we'd be recieving later on.
They swipe our id's and there's traces of drug paraphenalia? I'm pretty much not worried there, because I do hang out w/ a lot of smokers and didn't trip out on that. But, they say there's traces of cocaine going on, and it's odd since none of us do that stuff. But, the lady is swearing there's STRONG traces of these things, and we HAVE to have more of it w/ us. Nothing was ever found and she still swore we had something. That was normal, and pretty much expected, but instead of just leaving it @ that, she kept saying, "Give up the joints we know you guys have and we'll let you go." Okay, how messed up is that? Give up what we don't have and then we can go, but since we don't have it, we're in big trouble? Total reversal going on and we're all shocked @ that. We got interagated a li'l bit and kept around for a period approaching 3 hours, but through it all we did what most natives do, kept our sense of humor. We laughed about it, and even doing that, we were chastised. We explained the hardships we already surpassed just to even get there, and natta going on. She wanted joints.
So, I'm outside smoking a cigar thinking how messed up the whole scenario is going, and then the news comes; give her some money and she'll let us go. Well, we pool together 100 american, and we were brutally rebuffed (sorry, some clueless going on there). Instead, she requests Canadian currency. This is where I come in oh so handy. I hand it over, and did I get reimbursed? No! I didn't really care though, I was just glad to be away from crazy woman. She was in need of some weed so bad though, she can have that 100 bucks on me, I don't care just mellow out lady.
We get to Penticton in time to see everyone file out of the club. Try to mingle around and get directions to the rez from the masses and masses of people who didn't know because they weren't natives. Naw, there were dozens and dozens of people there and a small handful of natives out. And that's being generous. We got directions, and as luck would smile so friendly upon us, we got the WRONG directions. We drove around penticton for a long time before deciding we didn't know where we were going and just get a room to bed down.
Saturday rolls up and we're all thinking, eat. We find a chinese buffet close by and decide that's the spot to be @. It wasn't the best, or even par really, but this waitress was so cool. Really pretty, and friendly is such a nice combination. Anyways, we get her to laugh at us and let her guard down and she asks us if we want to buy her calendar. In mid eating I just turn an about face to see if she was serious. I'm thinking it's her solo junt, but it's a collective effort though. Not bad though guls of okanogan valley. She fills us in that she's going to the element to check out some male strippers. We decide not to meet her there and let her know we'll be @ the blue mule instead. She was cool though, and she was from thailand.
Then the night comes. We decide to hit up a strip club. Not anything out of the ordinary, but we have 2 guls w/ us. One of them actually requested this stop too? Yeah, some guls trying to grind here and there up on stage and mostly talking to folks? Then one gul comes out to some uptempo and has choreography going on? She's doing her thing, and working it! Well, she also goes to one of the guls w/ us and tries to take off her shirt. Nothing happened, but then stripper gul turns around and puts her butt all in her face. So, she gets it slapped, and hard. A gul slapping the bare butt of another gul, hot.
then we get ready for club life. the most presentable threads are prepared for use and we're off. We find out we're too early for the blue mule to open up and head down the street for another bar. One young homey who's been getting by, is denied entry. So, him, me, and another homey head to the stip club again. Didn't want to leave a man behind, but the rest didn't quite share our enthusiasm. They went w/out us. Youngsta drinks awhile and we decide to go back to the rooms. He gets dropped off and surprisingly to me, we head back to the blue mule. 80's music explosion going on, along w/ country extroadinaire. If it wasn't those 2 genre's it was techno. Every now and then hip hop, but something old. So we go to the element, seeing as how it was getting late, and no strippers would be around close to closing.
No after hours, no rez trip, just us going to our rooms. The next day it's confusion on what to do. One half wants to stay, the other to go home. We went home, they stayed. We stress the border thanks to our prior experience. To our withered spirits, we were handsomely rewarded w/ a quick couple of questions and let out on our way home. No hassle, no accusations of drugs, no bribe payment, just us stopping a couple of seconds and continuing. Get home and it's all good in the neighborhood. Then I remember I just bought a new digital camera and didn't use it once up there? How pointless.
So ends our trip. Then we get home to rumors of what people thought went on. Nothing to get into though, I'll just leave it @ this.
Tuesday, September 14, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment